We are currently accepting applications for summer interns at Boston Partners in Education (BPIE) through the John Hancock MLK Summer Scholars program. These internships are open to current BPS students. Priority will be given to students who are 16-18 years old and are currently Boston Partners mentees. However, we are open to any BPS student who exhibits leadership qualities and is excited about this opportunity.
About The Organization
Have you ever had a difficult time keeping up with schoolwork? Have you ever had a friend in that position? What if you had a mentor to meet with once a week to help you stay on top of school work and check in on how you were doing? Since 1966, Boston Partners in Education has been recruiting and training volunteers of all ages and backgrounds to support Boston Public Schools students.
Boston Partners in Education’s mission is to enhance the academic achievement and nurture the personal growth of Boston’s public school students by providing them with focused, individualized in-school and after school volunteer support.
What You Will Do
We are looking ahead to the 22/23 school year and need to recruit more mentors and students to join our programs. We need your help to spread the word so that more volunteers, parents, and BPS students know about our organization. As a John Hancock MLK Scholar at Boston Partners, your job over the summer will be to work with staff to conduct community outreach, working to recruit volunteer mentors through flyering in Boston communities and hosting virtual recruitment events. Scholars will also work closely with our Communications and Development teams to ensure a strong start to the 22/23 school year for the organization. MLK Scholars will follow a hybrid work model, with remote and in-person work days each week.
SCHOLARS WILL ALSO:
- Contribute to the Boston Partners in Education blog and social media accounts
- Design student recruitment strategies for our newest program Independent Learning Support
- Help staff fundraise event through solicitations and marketing design
What You Will Gain
- Scholars will be paid $2,200 each over 6 weeks, paid biweekly
- Work experience in a non-profit office
- Professional Development through in-office trainings, supervision, and biweekly Mayor Menino Leadership Forums
- Any scholars who are offered the MLK Scholars position and have accepted will be granted a BPiE Chromebook to use throughout their term of employment.
Who Can Be A John Hancock MLK Scholar
John Hancock’s MLK Scholars Program funds over 600 summer jobs for teens at nearly 70 local non-profit organizations. This application is for employment at Boston Partners, specifically.
- Scholars must be between the ages of 16 to 18 (current High School Sophomores and Juniors)
- Scholars must live full-time in Boston
- Scholars must be available to work five days per week for 6 weeks from July 5th to August 12th, 2022 for 25 hours per week
- Strong interpersonal skills, demonstrated leadership skills, experience with online research and microsoft office, fair writing skills, and/or interest in social media strengthen application.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Applications must be submitted by Sunday, April 25th, 2022.
For more information please contact Claire Hammer at [email protected].